Director, Patent Attorney (Admitted in DC and Not admitted in VA)
OverviewMr.Yoon has been working in IP Field over 20 years. He joined in H.C. Park & Associates at 2012. Before his US law firm career at H.C. Park & Associates, he had worked in Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd as a Senior Patent Engineer for 13 years. As one of the Senior Patent Engineers, he was actively involved in various patent matters such as Patent Licensing Negotiation with various Japan and US companies. After leaving Samsung, he joined in Seoul Semiconductor, which was the top-ranked LED Manufacturer in Korea and was involved in the landmark litigation cases with Nichia. He was charge of Patent & Legal group as a director and obtained very favorable settlements for Seoul Semiconductor based on victories in various venues including US, Germany, Japan and Korea. After finishing the litigation, he continued to develop his career as an IP Expert and Head of IP Strategy department in NHN, which was the top-ranked Internet company in Korea, so called “Korean Google”. He received his B.S degree in Physics, M.S degree in Intellectual Property and LLM degree at George Washington University.
Prior ExperienceH C. Park and Associates, Virginia, USA April, 2012- Present
Patent Attorney / Director
- Consulting in IP Strategy and Portfolio Management
- Patent Prosecution in Display, LED, and Internet Technology
- Patent Litigation, Representing Plaintiff
NHN Co., Ltd. Seoul, Korea April, 2009 –March, 2012
Head of IP Strategy Department.
- Managing IP Strategy Dept. and Leading all IP Issues
- Control & manage all IP Issues of NHN with 10 group members,
- (Ex, IP Litigation, Trademark Dispute, Patent Acquisitions, Patent Prosecution and etc.)
Seoul Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Seoul, Korea October, 2007 – April, 2009
Director of Intellectual Property & Legal Group.
Litigation (October 2007 ~ Present)
- Control & manage litigation team with 15 group members, 12 litigations pending with Nichia in world wide; 3 in KR, 4 in US, 2 in JP, 2 in German, 1 in UK. (Finally, settled at Feb 2009 in favor of Seoul Semiconductor) (Example, vs Nichia at ITC, vs Nichia at EDTX of US)
Business Contract & Licensing (10.2007 ~ Present)
- Planning and Leading the negotiation for terms and conditions
(Example, SSC and TG Cross License, SSC and UCSB Collaboration Agreement)
Prosecution & Patent Analysis (10.2007 ~ Present)
- Develop strategies for patent filing, Establishing Patent Portfolio
- (Example, Establishing Acriche (ACLED) Patent Portfolio)
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Seoul, Korea January, 1995 –October 2007
Senior Manager of Intellectual Property & External Affairs Team of LCD Department.
Prosecution & Patent Analysis (1995 ~ Oct 2007)
- Develop strategies for patent filing, review the draft applications and OA responses, manage and evaluate foreign and domestic patent law firms Prepare and prosecute patent applications before Korea and foreign patent office(Self drafting program).
(Example, LCD mode patents analysis of Sharp, Hitachi,CMO,CPT and several Korea LCDmanufactures)
Litigation ( 1998 ~ Oct 2007) - Perform prior art searches, analyze patents, develop non-Infringement arguments, perform legal research and prepare memoranda, and review documents. (Example, vs. Semiconductor Energy Laboratory: won for inequitable conduct at CAFC; 116 F.3d 1497)
License Negotiation ( 1998 ~ Oct 2007) - analyze patents; make strategies based on each parties’ Patent portfolio & business situation,and negotiation.(Example, vs. Hitachi (JP), vs. Honeywell (US), vs CMO (TW))
External affairs ( 2002 ~ 2005)
- Draft agreements and negotiate for JDA (Joint Development Agreement), Patent Indemnity Agreement and Joint Venture.
(Example, Samsung – Sony Joint Venture formation in LCD)
- Create and manage the collaboration program with other Institutes or Company
(Example, Samsung – Kent State Univ. Collaboration Program)
- Technology Alliance & Acquisition, Patents Acquisition
(Example. Viztec Patent & technology(flexible Display) Acquisition)
- Present patent law lectures for engineers.
Education- George Washington University, LLM at General law (May, 2015)
- Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea, Course completion of Degree of PH. D at Law, Feb 2012
- Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, Master of Law (LL.M), August, 2007 (Part time Course)
- Franklin Pierce Law Center, Concord, NH, USA, (Now, New Hampshire School of Law), Master of Intellectual Property (MIP), May, 2002
- Sogang University, Seoul, Korea, Bachelor of Science, Physics, February 1995
Representative Prosecution and Procurement Matters/Technology- Liquid crystal displays, including thin film transistors, the birefringence effect of liquid crystal displays, driving circuitry, low temperature polycrystalline silicon, brightness enhancement, wide viewing angle, and liquid crystal display module technologies
- Plasma display panel (PDP), including driving circuitry, discharge mechanisms, cell structures and energy recovery circuits
- Organic LEDs (OLED), including thin film transistor, driving circuitry, cell structures, and organic electro-luminescent materials
- Optical cameras, digital cameras, and semiconductor manufacturing equipment
- Computer software, including workflow management and others, home automation, multimedia entertainment systems incorporating audio and video
- Internet, Internet Portal Service, SNS and Online game technology.
- Light emitting diode and application thereof
Bar Admissions- Washington D.C Bar 2016
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2015